By Kimberly B. Stratton,Dayna S. Kalleres
The authors probe the rules of, approaches, and motivations in the back of gendered stereotypes, starting with Western culture's earliest institutions of ladies and magic within the Bible and Homer's Odyssey. Daughters of Hecate offers a nuanced exploration of the subject whereas fending off reductive ways. in truth, the essays during this quantity discover complexities and counter-discourses that problem, instead of reaffirm, many gendered stereotypes taken with no consideration and reified via newest scholarship.
By combining severe theoretical tools with study into literary and fabric facts, Daughters of Hecate interrogates a fake organization that has endured from antiquity, to early sleek witch hunts, to the current day.
Read or Download Daughters of Hecate: Women and Magic in the Ancient World PDF
Similar judaism books
The reality at the back of the holocaust and why it happend.
Why may still an individual be a Zionist, a supporter of a Jewish country within the land of Israel? Why may still there be a Jewish country within the land of Israel? This ebook seeks to supply a philosophical solution to those questions. even though a Zionist don't need to be Jewish, still this e-book argues that Zionism is just a coherent political stance whilst it truly is intelligently rooted in Judaism, specially within the classical Jewish doctrine of God's election of the folks of Israel and the commandment to them to settle the land of Israel.
Initially those talks have been written through the writer to be used with a bunch of people that grew to become referred to as the ‘Monday staff’ and since she approved the Tree of existence or Qabalah to be the widest attainable method of data, she selected to exploit it because the floor plan on which to base her paintings with this staff over a long time.
Arrange to restore your Jewish neighborhood with the transformative strength of the Divine spirit. "Rabbi Baruch HaLevi and Ellen Frankel have adequately pointed out Ruakh as a key lacking component in Jewish institutional existence, in particular within the synagogue. Their name is for a revolution of spirit, a rejuvenation of our function, our worship, even our sacred areas.
- The Wondering Jew: My Journey into Judaism
- When the State Winks: The Performance of Jewish Conversion in Israel (Religion, Culture, and Public Life)
- Inventing God's Law: How the Covenant Code of the Bible Used and Revised the Laws of Hammurabi
- Eheschließungen im frühen Judentum (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies) (German Edition)
- Becoming a Soulful Educator: How to Bring Jewish Learning from Our Minds, to Our Hearts, to Our Souls—and Into Our Lives
- North Coast of the Black Sea, Asia Minor: Volume II (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft)
Extra resources for Daughters of Hecate: Women and Magic in the Ancient World
Daughters of Hecate: Women and Magic in the Ancient World by Kimberly B. Stratton,Dayna S. Kalleres
- Download e-book for kindle: Agaphileros "A" (Agaphileros Series Book 1) by Roger Watson
- Martin Benn's Sepia: The cuisine of Martin Benn PDF